— Charlie Chaplin
The unofficial start of summer is now here. This weekend, the grills will be fired up and all the junior Master Chefs like me will be hard at work. Few people realize there are dangers involved in outdoor cooking. What I consider the biggest threat in grilling is not the flame, but a grilling instrument. The grill brush can really screw you or your guests up.
A new study conducted at the University Of Missouri School Of Medicine identified more than 1,600 injuries from wire-bristle grill brushes reported in emergency rooms since 2002. Loose bristles can fall off the brush during cleaning and end up in the grilled food, which, if consumed, can lead to injuries in the mouth, throat and tonsils. Researchers advise individuals to inspect their food carefully after grilling or consider alternative grill-cleaning methods.
A little more on the subject, a personal post of mine from a few years ago…. Never clean your grill with a wire brush!